About the Role:
We are seeking an individual who thrives solving challenging problems, balances empathy and pragmatism, and is looking to define what the next generation of impact programs can look like at high growth tech and Fortune 500 companies while simultaneously maintaining laser focus on our mission. We’re excited to find an agent of change who runs towards challenging problems to help us craft innovative solutions to build a new and better future and refine established initiatives that promote a mature culture of inclusion.
About the Houston Exponential Team:
Working at Houston Exponential (HX) is like having a front row seat to the future of Houston. There is no team quite like ours anywhere, inside or outside of tech. It's a unique opportunity to both work at an agile, exciting startup and spend your days owning, executing and advancing our inclusion and impact efforts. You will be surrounded by some of the most curious and driven people you will ever meet and held up to the highest standards every day. Our team members come from backgrounds as diverse as VC, consulting, economic development, product management, and medical research. Each member of the team has a voice in the development of strategic initiatives and are encouraged to do so.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at HX, regardless of role or team. First, we assess whether a candidate demonstrates our values: Clear Communication, Positive Energy, Efficient Execution, and Continuous Learning. Second, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team.
What you’ll be doing (i.e. job duties):
- Project Management and Operational Execution: Lead the implementation of our D&I strategy through cross-functional stakeholders and teams. Ensure internal alignment on goals, and cohesion in execution. Plan, execute and deliver experiences that foster inclusion with a specific focus on creating equitable opportunity for underrepresented groups.
- Cross-functional Leadership: Partner with leaders across our partner organizations to implement D&I practices into their programs; Partner with our internal teams to create a strategy that activates underrepresented groups, with a focus on expanding top of funnel recruiting efforts through community partnerships, emerging and industry talent, professional associations, etc.; Work closely with leadership on strategy, programs, and execution of all diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Build and Foster Community: Create and develop supportive, inclusive founder communities
- Drive Business Value: Take a data-driven approach to D&I, which includes owning (and iterating) on our existing framework for measuring the impact and effectiveness of inclusion and diversity, and connect what we see in the data to an understanding of its impact on the development of the innovation ecosystem
- Champion D&I: Be a strong voice for inclusion and belonging with internal and external audiences, championing our culture and values to audiences in all communities; Build and represent HX in external partnerships. Play a vital role in culture across the entire company by supporting expansion efforts globally.
What we look for in you (i.e. job requirements):
- Growth mindset: a curiosity to approach (hard) problems in novel ways and an orientation toward continuous learning
- Structured problem solver: can tackle complex problems, developing data-driven solutions
- Operational prowess / change management: ability to craft practical operational plans to achieve clear, measurable goals
- High emotional intelligence: an ability to connect with people with varied views, actively listen, coach and influence to drive toward common goals
- Ease with data: a facility working with data to understand a problem, to tell a story, to influence others
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- High degree of discretion in working with sensitive and confidential information.
- We are looking for experienced professionals (5-10 years) and are open to a variety of backgrounds including but not limited to: experience in in startups, people strategy & operations, and management consulting